Monday, January 16, 2012

Leaving my fears behind

For me 2011 were one of the best years of my life, it was the year of achievement, change, clarity and great awareness. During this year, I knew myself more than any time else. I could realize how I see and treat myself. I learned what I need more of and what I need to let go. I learned for the first time in my whole life that I am responsible for my choices and that these choices create my life; so I am responsible for most of what is happening in my life. It was a great awareness that brought to me huge clarity and now I think I can live a happier and more fulfilling life.

One of the things that I learned in 2011 is to say "No". "No" to time wasters, "No" to energy drainers, "No" to anything that doesn't matter to me and won't bring me any value or benefit; All this learning I intend to take it with me in 2012, only one "No" I will leave, it's "No" to new opportunities, trying new things that I don't know. I used to avoid anything I am not familiar with, I wasn't fan of trying new things, even when I decide to try something new it must be tried by someone else and they found it OK. I wasn't ready to take any risk. I was limiting myself in a very small area and depriving myself from the pleasure of living a new experience with the pleasure and fun it may bring. 

Eventually I decided to break this limiting fear of trying new things, I had an opportunity to talk on a program in our local radio and as usual I had this negative inner self talk "What if I couldn't talk confidently? What if I made any mistakes? My voice is not OK..... " and due to this self talk I thought about apologizing but I got a question that totally shifted my attention and my mind " Why don't I look at it from a curiosity perspective? How a radio program is recorded? How this place look like? How the announcers work?" and I found myself  excited about the idea and so curious to go and live this moment. I could convince myself that it's just a talk with a friend about what is coaching and what I do as a coach, I've done it before with my friends and all noticed how excited I am about it so why not think of it the same way. I did it and it worked very well. We talked for more than an hour and they recorded 3 parts that will be submitted on their weekly program for three successive weeks. 

It was exciting and a great achievement to beat this limiting fear and since then I decided to leave the "No for doing something new" behind me forever and live with a new mindset, to look for every opportunity to try new things. This is the best way to rediscover  my undiscovered talents and abilities.



This post is part of a blog hop series sponsored by students and graduate Coaches of ICA. Please hop on over to their posts and see what else you can learn about ''What did you learn from 2011 that you'll change in 2012?''.

Joyful Growth Coach
Coachinu
Intuitive Coaching
Learner Focused Coaching
Bodacious Possibilities
Turning Stones Coaching and Consultancy
 What I am is What I Choose
http://whatiamiswhatichoose.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/what-did-you-learn-from-2011-that-youll-change-in-2012/



10 comments:

  1. Hi Nihad,
    thanks for this wonderful post. I also need to leave the 'NO to new opportunities' when they are a little scary and challenging, behind me..your post is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, I know this feeling (scary) yes but when you do it you get a fantastic feeling of pride, success and confidence.Good luck.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post! Great that you did joined your friend for the radio show. It will bring many new things :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee, yes it brought me confidence that I lacked in public:)

      Delete
  3. Wow! First of all let me tell you how great it is that you have been able to find your true passion. Congratulations for such a year of revelations and self-love and awareness. I love how openly you share your feelings and your experience through your blog and, although I am afraid that your radio interview would be in Arabic and I wouldn't understand a word, I wish I could listen to it and get more of that passion through your own voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nuria. I love that you always share with me your thoughts about my blog it's so empowering to me:) You are right the interview is in Arabic but once I will get a recording I will share it with you:) on Leaving my fears behind

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's a nice blog.and i like every word you say.Really i respect you and i hope to think like you.
    if i say "NO" just one time,my life will change.but until now i'm not able to say it.I wish i can but i'm always afraid and i don't know why.
    i'm waiting your coming post.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice words and wish you the best. If you think you want to talk about your fears please let me know and I will see how we can contact.
      Just saying No once is the key.

      Delete